Recipe Servings: 2
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Total Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Difficulty Level: Easy
Bissi Bele Bhath is a rice preparation popular in Karnataka. In kannada language it is also known as ‘Bisi Bele Huliyanna’ which means hot lentil rice. It is a type of khichdi with rice, arhar dal, tamarind, jaggery, veggies, curry leaves and spices.
Ingredients Of Bissi Bele Bhath
- 1 cup rice-picked and washed
- 1 cup arhar ki daal-picked and washed (Pigeon Pea)
- 1 tsp dal chini-broken roughly
- 1 cup sookha nariyal-grated
- 1 tsp sabut kali mirch
- 1 Tbsp channa daal
- 1 tsp sabut dhania
- 2 whole red chillies
- 1 cup onions-chopped
- 6 Tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 Tbsp jaggery
- 1 cup mixed vegetables-chopped, boiled and drained
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 12-15 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
How to Make Bissi Bele Bhath
- 1.1. Fry the dal chini, sookha nariyal, sabut kali mirch in a tablespoon of oil.
- 2.2. Grind the dal chini, sookha nariyal, sabut kali mirch, channa daal, sabut dhania, red chillies and the onions into a paste.
- 3.3. Cook rice and daal together to a soft and wet consistency like a soft khichdee.
- 4.4. Mix together the rice mixture, vegetables, masala, imli and gur.
- 5.5. Heat the 1 Tbsp oil and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and cumin. When the seeds splutter, add the rice mixture and serve hot.